Caring for our environment is a priority at Kelly Paper, and we approach our efforts in a number of ways. We support sustainable forestry through responsible preservation and by upholding chain-of-custody standards for FSC™, SFI® and PEFC™ papers.
Kelly has worked with partners using certified forest fiber, renewable energy sources, reduced chemical, energy and water usage and effluent discharge, and manufacturing products that contain recycled fiber. Kelly is involved with a number of industry efforts focused on communicating the paper industry’s sustainability message to a wider audience.
Kelly Paper has taken significant steps toward reducing our environmental footprint by implementing a number of programs internally, both in our retail stores throughout the Western United States, and at our headquarters in Santa Fe Springs, CA. These include:
- A recycling program that averages 11 tons of mixed paper, 7 tons of cardboard and 1.5 tons of plastic each month.
- Reusing and/or recycling all wooden pallets in the warehouse. We do not buy new pallets for shipping, and damaged or broken pallets are recycled through a local recycler.
- Recycling of all electronic waste, including dry toner, computers, batteries, and monitors.
- Use of T8 fluorescent light bulbs in all Kelly Paper stores. Expired bulbs are returned to the distribution center for recycling by Waste Management.
- Lighting retrofits at Kelly Paper Corporate office, Spicers Santa Fe Springs warehouse, and Arizona Kelly Paper stores, which reduced energy use by 11%, 12%, and 16% respectively.
- Robust preventive maintenance program reduces downtime and increases fuel efficiency of our fleet.
- Enforced an idle-free delivery zone policy cutting back on emissions and conserving fuel.